Housing Assistance Payment

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a new social housing support. HAP will replace Rent Supplement for those with a long term housing need. Persons applying for HAP (Housing Assistance Payment) must be a qualified housing applicant(s) before they can apply for HAP.

If you are eligible as an approved housing applicant, you must find your own private rented accommodation (within specific rent caps). The Local Authority will pay the landlord directly and the tenant will pay a rent to the local authority based on the differential rent scheme. The rent will be based on your weekly household income and works in a similar way to the differential rents charged for local authority houses.

Please note that applicants must present in person to the HAP clinic to process an application. The HAP clinic is open from 09.00am to 12.30pm Monday to Friday at Johns' Green House, Johns' Green, Kilkenny. Postal applications cannot be processed and will be returned to the applicant.

For more information on the HAP scheme, please see www.hap.ie

See the attached Tenant & Landlord sheets for more detailed information.

HAP Information Leaflet.pdf (size 934.1 KB)

Landlord Leaflet

Landlord leaflet in Irish

Tenant Leaflet

Tenant leaflet in Irish

Please visit the following website for some more information on private rented accommodation:


For landlords - please visit http://www.revenue.ie/ for information about Tax Clearance Certificate


Kilkenny Promotion Logo
Kilkenny slogan: Come See Come Do