Introduction to Building Control
The building control system applies to the design and construction of new buildings, extensions and material alterations to, and certain changes in the use of, existing buildings.
The BCMS (Building Control Management System) is in place to allow building owners, construction professionals and practicing designers and certifiers to submit commencement notice and completion certificates electronically.
It is a statutory requirement that those constructing buildings and structures give their Local Building Control Authority 7 or 14 days’ notice when commencing construction.
There are four different types of commencement notices:
- commencement notice with compliance documentation
- commencement notice without compliance documentation
- commencement notice with opt out declaration
- 7 day notice
It is a legal requirement that buildings must be designed and built in accordance with the Building Regulations. Under current legislation, the building control authority has discretionary powers.
These include the following:
- The right to inspect works to which the Building Regulations apply.
- The right to request information relating to works to which Building Regulations apply.
- Power of enforcement in relation to non-compliance with the Building Regulations.
- Power to prosecute for non-compliance, either by summary or High Court proceedings.
It should be noted that the power of inspection granted to building control authorities under the legislation is discretionary, and does not impose an obligation to inspect. The primary responsibility for compliance with regulations rests with the designers, builders and building owners.
How do I submit my Commencement Notice?
The Commencement Notice and other documentation should be submitted online by using the Building Control Management System (BCMS) This system may be accessed via https://www.nbco.localgov.ie/
The Fee for a Commencement Notice is €30 in respect of each building if a complete application is submitted on-line.
Maximum fee for a Commencement Notice is €3,800
For more information visit the Department of Housing, Planning & Local Government website at