Candles Fire Safety Information

Kilkenny Crest

Kilkenny County Council Fire and Rescue Service
Community Fire Safety

Fire Service Headquarters,
Gaol road,
Kilkenny.
t: 056 - 7794400
f: 056 - 7762781
w: www.fire.kilkennycoco.ie

Kilkenny Fire Service Logo

 

 

Cut out this information for future reference.
Candles are popular. You can get them in a variety of colours, shapes, sizes and fragrances. But candles have naked flames which can cause a fire if you are not careful.

You can stop candles from starting a fire by taking a few simple precautions.

  • Place your candles on a flat and stable surface.
  • Always use a proper candleholder* and make sure the candle fits firmly inside it. Leave plenty of space above and around the candle and candleholder.
  • Keep candles away from draughts. Keep them away from curtains, furniture, and anything else that can catch fire.
  • Always put the candleholder* on a heat resistant surface like a ceramic plate. This is especially important for nightlights. Never put candles on polished surfaces like televisions.
  • Never leave candles unattended or go to sleep when they are alight.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Never try to move a candle once it is lit.
  • Use a candle snuffer or a metal spoon to put the candle out. Let it cool down before you move it.
  • Fit a smoke alarm. Make sure it has the CE Mark and/or the British Standard Kitemark. Test it at least once a month and change the battery once a year.

* The bases of "Night Lights" become hot enough to ignite flammable surfaces i.e. wood, paper, plastics etc. These type of candles have been known to set fire to items such as wooden fire surrounds, televisions etc. Do not fall into this trap, use a recommended candle base.

Spent matches placed in "Night Lights" actually absorb the molten wax which forms a second wick; this then doubles the heat output from these candles making them more hazardous.

 

You can get more information from the Kilkenny County Council Fire & Rescue Service website @ http://www.fire.kilkennycoco.ie

You can get more information from the National Safety Council @ http://www.nsc.ie/
or via telephone on Locall: 1890 200 844

This checklist review has been compiled by Killian John Hennessy, Senior Fire Officer, Kilkenny County Council Fire & Rescue Service.


Related Links: