Data Protection aims to regulate the collection, processing, retention, use and disclosure of personal data relating to individuals. The Data Protection Acts 1988 to 2018, which govern this area, define personal data as data relating to a living individual who can be identified either from the data or from the data in conjunction with other information. This legislation applies to personal data held in manual and electronic format by private and public organisations. It imposes responsibilities on those who control personal data (Data Controllers) and confers rights on individuals in relation to their own personal data (Data Subjects). Kilkenny County Council is registered as a Data Controller with the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner (Registration Number 0268/A). Details of the Council’s registration are available at www.dataprotection.ie.
Our Data Protection Policy
Kilkenny County Council, as a Data Controller, is obliged under Section 71 Chapter 2 of the Data Protection Acts to:
- Obtain and process personal data fairly.
- Keep it accurate, complete and up to date.
- Keep it only for one or more specified, explicit and lawful purpose(s).
- Use it and disclose it in ways compatible with those purposes.
- Ensure that it is adequate, relevant and not excessive.
- Retain it for no longer than is necessary for the purpose or purposes for which it was collected.
- Keep it safe and secure.
- Give Data Subject a copy of your personal information on request
Link to Data Protection Policy
Individuals have the following rights under the Data Protection Acts:
1. Rights to Establish Existence of Personal Data
You have a right under Section 90, Chapter 4 of the Data Protection Act 2018 to find out, free of charge, if there is any of your personal information held by Kilkenny County Council. You can request this in writing to Kilkenny County Council and we will inform you within 21 days whether we hold any of your personal data. You also have a right to be given a description of the personal data and to be told the purposes for which is kept.
2. Request Personal Information
Under Section 91, Chapter 4 of the Data Protection Act 2018 you have a right to get a copy of any personal information. This applies to all types of information e.g. written information, automated records, CCTV etc. You are entitled to know how the information was obtained, how it has been used and if it has been passed on to anyone else.
All requests for personal details must be made in writing, either by post, email. You may be asked for evidence of your identity. This is to make sure that personal information is not given to the wrong person. Please address your request to:
Data Protection Officer, Corporate Services,
Kilkenny County Council, County Hall John Street, Kilkenny
Your letter should read as follows: “ I wish to make an access request under the Data Protection Acts 1988 to 2018 for a copy of any information you keep about me, on computer or in manual form.”
Please include any details that could help us to locate your records. This might include:
- Customer Account Number.
- Staff Number.
- Any other information that may help us to identify your records.
Kilkenny County Council will provide you with a copy of your personal data within 30 days.
3. Right of Rectification or Erasure of Personal Data
You have a right under Chapter 4, Section 92 of the Data Protection Act 2018 to have personal data rectified or where appropriate erased within 30 days, if the Council has failed to comply with its responsibilities for the collection, processing, retention, use and disclosure of personal data under Chapter 2 of the Act.
This request must be in writing to Kilkenny County Council. You may be asked for evidence of your identity and details that will assist it to locate the personal data involved.
Appealing a Decision
You can appeal to the Data Commissioner if the Council does not give you your personal data as requested under the Data Protection Acts, for information on the existence of personal data, access to personal data or the rectification or erasure of personal data.
Contact details are as follows: Office of the Data Commissioner
Local: 1890 252 231,
Telephone: 057 8684800
For further assistance on Data Protection contact:
Data Protection Officer, Corporate Services,
Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny
Telephone: 056 7794070
Section Specific Data Privacy Statements
- Data Privacty Statement for Community Response Helpline Privacy Statement April 2020.docx (size 35.1 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for the Community COVID-19 Response Team.pdf (size 756 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for the Arts Office.pdf (size 195.2 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Cash Receipting.pdf (size 154.5 KB)
- CCTV Data Privacy Statement for Kilkenny County Council Owned Properties.pdf (size 172.9 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Compulsory Purchase Order.pdf (size 196.2 KB)
- Privacy Statement - County Hall Reception .pdf (size 115.2 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Dash Cam Usage.pdf (size 157.8 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Drone Usage.pdf (size 174.1 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Environment Section Food Waste Regulations.pdf (size 180.7 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Environment Section CCTV and other Surveillance System.pdf (size 161 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Finance.pdf (size 159.6 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Kilkenny Library Services.pdf (size 235.6 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Motor Tax.pdf (size 161.8 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Procurement.pdf (size 156 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Register of Electors.pdf (size 214.9 KB)
- Data Privacy Statement for Resident Parking Permits.pdf (size 167.5 KB)
- Small Business Assistance Scheme for COVID - Data Protection Statement .pdf (size 215.2 KB)