Services in Support of Tourism in Kilkenny
- Administration of Failte Ireland Grants
- Administration of the Local Authority Festival Grant Scheme (link to 2017),
- Publication and distribution the Kilkenny Visitor guide
- Publication and distribution of Kilkenny Tourism Maps
- Administration and technical support to the members of 'Kilkenny Tourism' - a limited company made up of voluntary, representative stakeholders
- Support and development of the 'visit Kilkenny' tourism website and associated social media networks
- Work with complimentary groups and individuals within the County Council, and externally such as Tidy Towns/ Keep Kilkenny Beautiful and Heritage Council, as well as members of the public to maintain and protect Kilkenny's reputation as a beautiful destination.
- Support and drive the Tourism PR and marketing agenda
Kilkenny County Council supports the work of Kilkenny Tourism which is a voluntary organisation with public and private stakeholders to implement Kilkenny Tourism's Strategy and maintain Kilkenny's position as the finest Cultural, Design and Heritage destination in Ireland. Kilkenny County Council is currently working with Failte Ireland and stakeholders to implement Phase 2 of the 'Medieval Mile' plan, increasing the economic impact of continued investment in Kilkenny's heritage proposition and maximizing the audience reach for Kilkenny's festival calendar with the addition of new visitor experiences. Kilkenny is a "hero site" within Failte Ireland's Ancient East campaign and the tourism stakeholders are collaborating on major marketing and branding campaigns, consistent with Kilkenny's history and heritage. We are working closely with Kilkenny Leader Partnership (KLP), the O.P.W., Coillte, Waterways Ireland, Kilkenny Civic Trust, Failte Ireland and Tourism Ireland.
Increased investment in marketing and PR programmes for quarterly domestic and international campaigns and driving member participation in trade shows and conferences are priorities, while embedding newer events such as the Medieval Marathon and further developing Kilkenny's Christmas Festival Yulefest Kilkenny now in its second year, as the premium Christmas Festival in Ireland. The Medieval Mile Museum launched in 2016 is a stunning addition on the Medieval Mile Map.
County wide tourism development is a priority as adopted by the Council in the five year tourism statement of strategy with increased focus on locations such as Castlecomer Discovery Park and Kells Priory with new visitor offerings and supporting information. Plans are underway to promote the range of activities throughout the county from zip wires to cookery schools, and developing previously untapped markets from a regional perspective. A collaborative engagement with the public, members of Kilkenny Tourism, Council members and the executive, and all stakeholders will maintain the world class visitor experience established in recent years.
Information sources relating to Kilkenny Tourism
Provide a Scheme of Grants for Festival and Community Support.
- Festival-and-Events-Grants-2017.html (*note the funding for the Local Authority Festival Grant Scheme has now been allocated and the Scheme is closed)
Promote National initiatives such as Failte Ireland's Ancient East Marketing Campaign
Produce and distribute updated Kilkenny Tourism Brochures, and similar information guides, to stakeholders, members and public outlets.
Run Tourism marketing and advertising campaigns and promote same to the public via web and social media networks, targeting specific audience markets to generate visitors coming to Kilkenny. Designated themes and communication campaigns focus on Culture & Heritage, Adventure, Artisan Culture and Romantic Kilkenny.
Engage with Kilkenny Tourism members on marketing campaign design and strategy.
Develop partnerships within the South East region and work with neighbouring counties to promote the region for tourism and business.
Hold a number of member/stakeholder social evenings and workshops to encourage participation and promote bundling of county and regional offering
Increase business tourism and support the 'Destination Kilkenny ' strategy group and internal 'Invest Kilkenny' economic development team in promoting Kilkenny as an investment destination
Target International coverage and awards with familiarisation trips/media engagement/contacts networking
Increase the circulation of Kilkenny Tourism's ezine by 10%
Build social media networks, particularly on twitter and facebook and engage with target audiences by developing calls to action via the Tourism website