Christmas Candle Care
Christmas time can bring with it increased risk of fire tragedy. In order to have a fire safe Christmas please remember the following advice:
- Have your chimney cleaned before the holiday season.
- Check Christmas lights for damage, replace bulbs only with the correct type and don't overload sockets.
- Use a non-shedding Christmas tree, stand it in damp sand and ensure that it will not tip over. Keep Christmas trees away from open fires or heaters.
- Use a fire guard at all times, do not throw wrapping paper on the fire and do not hang cards or decorations over the fireplace.
- Never leave lighted candles unattended and never place them close to curtains or to combustible decorations.
- Toys which are powered from the mains should be fitted with a safety plug by a competent adult.
- Unplug Christmas tree lights when you are leaving the house.
And remember - last thing at night:
- Unplug lights and other electrical equipment
- Put a spark guard in front of the fire
- Check for any smouldering cigarette ends in furniture
- Close all room doors
- Check your smoke alarm NOW.
A smoke alarm is always a welcome gift.
Remember, the risk of fire outbreak is greater at Christmas than at any other time of the year.