Home Evacuation Plan
- Plan two escape routes to get out of the house.
- Decide on one meeting place outside the house.
- Practice the plan until everyone understands it.
- Close all doors behind you as you leave.
- Do not re-enter the house for any reason.
- Phone the Fire Brigade as soon as possible from a nearby phone.
- Check a door for heat with the back of your hand before opening it.
- If there is heat and smoke on the other side close it again immediately.
- Crawl low in smoke, the air is clearer and cooler at floor level.
If you are trapped in a room
- Close the door and block the gaps with blankets or towels to stop the smoke getting in.
- Go to the window, open it and attract attention (at ground floor level you can leave by the window).
- If smoke gets heavy in the room lean out of the window to get fresh air.
- At first floor level, as a last resort you can hang from the window cill and drop to the ground (bend your knees to reduce injury).
- Always lower children to the ground first, never expect them to follow you