Strategic Housing Development:
Strategic Housing Development (SHD) Planning Applications are governed by the following legislation:
- Planning and Development (Housing) and Residential Tenancies Act 2016
- Planning & Development (Strategic Housing Development ) Regulations 2017
Planning applications for housing developments of more than 100 residential units and 200 plus student bed spaces can now be made directly to An Bord Pleanála.
New legislation which allows for this type of application was enacted on 19th December 2016 and the associated regulations came into effect on 3rd July 2017.
The types of housing applications which can be made direct to An Bord Pleanála are referred to as Strategic Housing Development (SHD) and are defined as follows:
- the development of more than 100 or more houses on land zoned for residential use or for a mixture of residential and other uses
- the development of student accommodation units which, when combined, contain 200 or more bed spaces, on land the zoning of which facilitates the provision of student accommodation or a mixture of student accommodation and other uses thereon,
- development as outlined above, or containing a mix of houses and student accommodation
When an application for a SHD is lodged with An Bord Pleanala for the jurisdiction of County Kilkenny, documentation will also be made available for viewing or purchase at our Planning Offices.
To make an application or find out more information visit www.pleanala.ie/shd .
Strategic infrastructure Development (SID) can generally be described as development which is of strategic economic or social importance to the state or a region.
It also includes development which will
- contribute significantly to the fulfilment of any of the objectives of the National Spatial Strategy or any regional spatial and economic strategy for an area
- have significant effects on the area of more than one planning authority.
Planning applications for certain large scale private development, generally of a class which:
- require an environmental impact assessment (EIA)
- An Bord Pleanala certifies as meeting the criteria referred to above,
must be made directly to An Bord Plealála.
When an application for a SID is lodged with An Bord Pleanala for the jurisdiction of County Kilkenny, documentation will also be made available for viewing or purchase at our Planning Offices.
More information is available at www.pleanala.ie/sid .