Large scale Residential Developments
Large-scale Residential Development
Large-scale Residential Development (LRD) arrangements were introduced under the Planning and Development (Amendment) (Large-scale Residential Development) Act 2021.
Large-scale Residential Developments (LRDs) has replaced the Strategic Housing Development (SHD) process.
A large-scale residential development is:
- A development of 100 or more housing units,
- Development of student accommodation comprising 200 or more bed spaces,
- A combination of student accommodation and houses, where the threshold is met for either element.
A new feature of the LRD legislation is that provision is made for up to 30% of the gross floor space of the proposed development to be for other uses, instead of the 15% cap under the SHD arrangements.
- Pre Planning Consultation Request.pdf (size 269.4 KB) PDF Version
- Pre Planning Consultation Request.docx (size 107.5 KB) Word Version
- LRD-Form-No.-19.docx (size 804.5 KB) (this form to be included with an application for permission for a Large-scale Residential Development)
LRD Application Fee Structure:
Class of Development
Amount of Fee
Amount of Fee for Retention Permission
(a) Pre-Application Consultation
(b) Basic fee structure: Each Housing Unit
Note: In respect of an application comprising student accommodation, or shared accommodation the above structure range and fee per unit should be applied on the pro rata basis of the fee for 1 housing unit = the fee for 2 bed spaces of student accommodation or shared accommodation.
€130 per housing unit
€390 per housing unit
(c) Fee Structure for other uses on the land, the zoning of which facilitates such use: per square metre of gross floor space to a maximum of 30% of floor space of the entire development.
€7.20 per square metre to a maximum of €32,400
€15 per square metre to a maximum of €65,000
(d) Submission of an EIS/NIS Fee Structure:
Submission of EIS
Submission of NIS