Advertisements / Signs/Shopfronts

The legislation governing advertisements and the erection of signs is -
The Planning and Development Acts 2000 - 2015 and The Planning and Development Regulations 2001 - 2015.

The general rule with regard to Advertisement/Signs is as follows:

  • If you wish to put a permanent sign/advertisement on private property - it will require the benefit of planning permission, unless it is exempted under the Exempted Development - Advertisements Regulations - advertising-sign-exemptions.pdf (size 213.1 KB)
    (See Part 2 - Planning & Development Regulations 2001 - 2015)
  • If you are unsure if your proposed advertising sign or structure is Exempted Development or not, you can apply under Section 5 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 - 2015 and the Planning Authority will make a determination in this regard. For more information see exempted development
  • If you wish to put a permanent advertisement sign/structure on public property, it will require a Licence under Section 254 of the Planning and Development Acts 2000 -2015 & the Planning and Development Regulations, 2001 - 2015. This licensing procedure applies to the provision of tables and chairs outside a restaurant/public house/cafe etc. Application Form and Particulars are available from the Planning Section, Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John St., Kilkenny OR Application Form Link

Temporary Signs - please contact the relevant Area Office with regard to provision of temporary signage in relation to one-off events.


Kilkenny Promotion Logo
Kilkenny slogan: Come See Come Do