Strategic Housing Development:
Strategic Housing Development (SHD) Planning Applications are governed by the following legislation:
- Planning and Development (Housing) and Residential Tenancies Act 2016
- Planning & Development (Strategic Housing Development ) Regulations 2017
Planning applications for housing developments of more than 100 residential units and 200 plus student bed spaces were previously made directly to An Bord Pleanála. To find out more visit https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/strategic-housing-development
Large scale residential development provisions have now replaced Strategic Housing Developments. See here https://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/services/planning/planning-applications/large-scale-residential-developments/
Strategic infrastructure Development (SID) can generally be described as development which is of strategic economic or social importance to the state or a region.
It also includes development which will
- contribute significantly to the fulfilment of any of the objectives of the National Spatial Strategy or any regional spatial and economic strategy for an area
- have significant effects on the area of more than one planning authority.
Planning applications for certain large scale private development, generally of a class which:
- require an environmental impact assessment (EIA)
- An Bord Pleanala certifies as meeting the criteria referred to above,
must be made directly to An Bord Plealála.
When an application for a SID is lodged with An Bord Pleanala for the jurisdiction of County Kilkenny, documentation will also be made available for viewing or purchase at our Planning Offices.
More information is available at www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/strategic-infrastructure-development-guide .